Monday, October 02, 2006

Oh, How I Love the Sign Twirlers

I was driving by Silver Creek down here in good ol Puyallup (I pronounce it Pooly Woop), and I saw something I haven't seen in a while: Sign Twirlers. I love these guys. They get paid to stand on a corner with a big arrow pointing to the new housing development they represent (In this case it was Premier Homes).

Anyhow, this brought back memories of living in California at the very very beginning of the housing boom. There were sign twirlers everywhere. Some of them were expert sign twirlers, flipping their sign at least three to four times before they caught it with the arrow still pointing in the right direction.

When I was in SoCal I got a chance to interview a sign twirler. He said it was pretty boring, but it wasn't too bad when he listened to his headphones. He said the only rules he had was that he had to keep the sign moving and that he couldn't sit down except on breaks.

I must say, if I consider a career change, sign twirling will definitely be on the top of my list. I mean who can turn down music, time to think, and a big ol' arrow?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sign twirling--only in America. However, it is an interesting form of advertisement.